Search Unity

Creating a cave using terrain

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by marcalvara123, Nov 18, 2010.

1. marcalvara123

marcalvara123

I am trying to create a cave environment for an underwater game I'm creating. I created the bottom part but I'm having trouble with the top part. I created a second terrain and moved it above the first but I wasn't able to see it from the bottom. I also tried rotating it using the transform tool but it didn't change. Is there a way to rotate a terrain?

2. Bren

Bren

No, you cannot use the Unity terrain to create overhangs or roofs, and it appears there is no way to reverse, negative scale, or otherwise invert the terrain.

You could write your own heightmap based mesh deformer that will allow "upside down" heightmaps.

Best way is probably to create your cave systems (minimally, the roofs) in a 3D modeler and then export and place them as meshes in Unity. This is the typical way of doing caves/overhangs on heightmap terrains.

3. Ostagar

Ostagar

4. Vimalakirti

Vimalakirti

5. nevaran

nevaran

i was thinking of trying to make a cave like in the source engine, the source sdk has a realy nice mesh deformer, good for making hallowed objects or caves as u said, but it will need time so someone could acsualy make the script so the terrain can act like that, or any kind of other object
    tho its better to make it in a 3d modeling software but u cannot edit it in unity, u always have to go to the modeling software and edit it, which is rather painfull and takes more time

6. Venryx

Venryx

There's a plugin for this on the Asset Store: Terrain Hole System

Description: "This Unity extension lets you make holes in your terrain that characters and other objects can go through."

More information can be found on the forum thread.

7. HeavyMcD

HeavyMcD

You need a voxel based terrain set up. There is one on the asset store. Terravol. I bought it last week but we haven't had time to get it into our game yet. My only issues 1. The editing is really lacking but I know I can fix that.. 2.That the mesh that it creates is half the resolution I would like and I don't know how to change that. I was going to drop the dev a note..

8. TJEX

TJEX

maybe if one can make another terrain and maybe turn that upside down, then make the hight tool to make moutains that point down, then one will be able to make a cave... or is this not possible in any way?

9. 00yoshi

00yoshi

I can just say Cubiquity.

10. DeltaTheDark

DeltaTheDark

There is a new tool in the asset store called digger that lets you make caves, holes, overhangs, etc, really nicely. It's sadly not free though and costs somewhere in the $30 range

11. Deenie123

Deenie123

Unfortunately, within the past few years (presumably) the price of digger has been raised to $70 for the base version and $100 for the pro version.