Search Unity

2d or Isometric 3d ?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by thefinn, Jan 18, 2015.

1. thefinn

thefinn

I'm wondering what factors prompt you to choose one over the other of 2d or isometric 3d ?

I know of course that performance is one.

However, in starting on my own path I really need to decide which one to learn. I have an "end project" in mind, however I don't want to learn one over the other only to realise when I get to that project that I chose the wrong one. ;)

2. Kloper

Kloper

I guess it depends very much of gamedesign//gameplay... but what do you mean with learning 1 over the other and choosing wrong?

3. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

Performance and ease of use speak for 3d. What more do you want?

The guys behind Project Zomboid (excellent game) used 2d first and ran into so huge issues, that they rewrote the engine in 3d.

If done correctly, you won't see any difference. If you take it a step further, you can achieve a lot of visual effects using 3d, that wouldn't be feasible with 2d.

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

???

The underlying engine is the same. There is very little difference between working in 2D and in 3D. And in many cases you can reuse the same code.

Ultimately this comes down to a choice on art style. And that can easily be delayed until after you have a couple of prototypes out.

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  5. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

2D, 2.5D or 3D? First-person, Third-person, God or Management View? I pick stuff like that based on what makes the most sense for the design and what they convey to the player.

theANMATOR2b and Kiwasi like this.
  6. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

I think what the OP is asking whether he should use sprites (2d) or 3d technology for a game with isometric perspective. At least that's how I understood it.

7. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

You know what... I think you are right or at least pure 2D or faked 2D in 3D :) But like others already stated 2D mode in Unity is just a simplified 3D mode with some sprite features that make rendering a bit easier if you want to walk the pixel path.

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  8. thefinn

thefinn

Yeah that's what I meant ;)

I guess I'm looking at a rimworld style of game - but with more AI features.

I'm personally awful at creating graphics, but at least with 3d there are some good tools that pretty much do it for you especially for characters.

9. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Can you point me to those tools you are talking about! I haven't found the make awesome 3D character button yet! :)

Or are you talking about external 3D tools like mixamo and daz studios? I haven't used the former and have noticed a distinctive generic 'look' with the latter.
    Don't forget about the asset store - if your concerned about asset development.