• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Exogame

Corporal
45 Badges
Aug 31, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Cities: Skylines
Im assuming this has been discussed previously. But is there still no way to extract .crp files? For me it would be a great way to learn how to create my own assets, or edit existing ones.

It's probably not really necessary. Mod Tools in the workshop can extract models and textures. Not sure what else you would need to extract from a crp file?

My modeling skills are very limited, for days now ive been trying to create something with sketchup and blender, but i simply dont have the experience to make it work. And all i want to do is edit an existing asset. Ive been using ModTools to extract models and textures, but the asset i want only comes up with a 32x32 texture file, and is therefor useless. And even with texture files getting extracted properly, i still cant get it to work. For someone who has as little experience as me, getting access to the basic model and all the different texture files would make it a whole lot easier to edit. I would like to strain that it is in no way my intention to take credit for someone elses work.

.crp is quite simple format. No encrypted, no compressed and straightforward organized.
Textures are stored as DDS and extract/replacing ( without changing its size ) is just copying bytes from source DDS to .crp at right offset.

Fastest way: Open .crp file with hex-editor, search for "UnityEngine.Texture2D". Place cursor after this string, move forward with 89 bytes. This DWORD holds texture size in bytes. After him you see "DDS", there are first bytes of plain DDS texture file. Just copy whole block of that size to new file and save it as .dds. Open it with graphics editor like Photoshop or Gimp and voila :)
After modifying dds, save changes. open this file with hex-editor and copy whole content back to .crp file at same place where original texture reside.

Remember: .crp is binary file, so it strongly offset-based. As long as your modified blocks have same size as original - it's safety.
But when you want replace original texture with more detailed ( bigger ), then you need rewrite whole file with appropiate offsets adjusting. Of course it is possible 'by hand', but more difficult.

PS. English is not my native language, so sorry for any typo or sth ;)

Reactions:
All of your assets are listed in an AppData folder like "207170" or something. In that folder, you will find all the steam guide ID #'s for the assets and within these folders contain the raw CRP files.

If you want to export more than just the CRP for looking in hex editors etc. you can utilize the ModTools scene explorer window and dump the .OBJ files and it's even possible to extract textures as well. Check out that mod's steam page for more information or do some googling.