Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
artemlan

GZdoom Zero tolerance

Hi guys!
I want to make game mode for GZdoom which is based on the game "Zero tolerance" from Sega. But I am the beginner, and only still I train myself in this software.
This game mode is based on the classical game "Zero tolerance". At this stage of creation of this mode, only the first episode which consists of 13 locations is ready. At this stage, animation of elevators as this process of creation still difficult isn't involved yet.
How to make a elevator, as in game "Zero tolerance"? This elevator will goes to nearest floor, from highest floor. And also, from nearest floor this elevator will goes to highest floor. Also, this elevator will goes from a middle floor to highest floor, and goes to lowest floor too.

Now, my results on creation of "Zero Tolerance" mod for GZDoom are ready. 2017.04.23 / 21:00

Zero Tolerance ver.1.0

Zero Tolerance ver. 1.1

Zero Tolerance ver.1.2

Zero Tolerance ver.1.3

Zero Tolerance ver.1.5

Zero Tolerance ver.1.6

Zero Tolerance ver. 1.66 "UBER-Boss"

Zero Tolerance ver. 1.666 beta "UBER-Boss"

Zero Tolerance ver.1.666 "Secret Uber Boss"

Zero Tolerance ver.1.666 beta "Accident at the station"

Edited by artemlan

artemlan said:

How to make a elevator, as in game "Zero tolerance"? This elevator will goes to nearest floor, from highest floor. And also, from nearest floor this elevator will goes to highest floor. Also, this elevator will goes from a middle floor to highest floor, and goes to lowest floor too.

Didn't you just yesterday make another thread on this subject?

artemlan said:

Doors that open upwards into an apparently very thin ceiling look odd.

I was a big fan of Zero Tolerance back in the day, and considered doing a similar thing myself. And so, I checked this out. Things I've noted:

- Your skybox looks too good to fit with the other assets.
- Unsure how I feel seeing the stock Doom shotgun and ceiling/floor flats in there.
- "Weapon collected" - where is this from? It's not the ZT lady.
- Are the sprites different? The crawler things look different.

And this:

scifista42 said:

Doors that open upwards into an apparently very thin ceiling look odd.

I implore you, learn how polyobjects work to get the doors sliding into their adjacent walls as they did on the Megadrive (AKA Genesis) version.

Not bad though. More slavish to the original layouts than I'd have gone (i.e. I'd have thrown in height variations all over the place, using the original layouts as more a guideline than a 1:1 template), but I look forward to seeing where it goes. :)

Thanks for a praise. I tried as I could. It is my first work, I wanted to begin to do it long ago. But at me, meanwhile, not everything manages to be done well. I had questions concerning writing of "ACS" scripts.
I have a desire on creation of textures with independent illumination of lamps.
And also, there were questions concerning operation of elevators. I want to realize the movement of the elevator from one floor which passes by the average floor, and falls to the lower level. But the "GZDoom builder" engine, I think, isn't focused on realization of multystoried ceilings. Unfortunately.

My test of a multilevel ceiling and movement of the elevator.
https://youtu.be/8DlyMZqsAUs

artemlan said:

But the "GZDoom builder" engine,

For fucks sake MaxED, nearly every single newcomer mapper I've seen has been confused thanks to GZDB's name.

I have understood: how to make the movement of the elevator, as in the game "Zero Tolerance". It was necessary to carry out some completions with illumination of levels.

You can watch my video on "YouTube":
https://youtu.be/mZIK8pYiLgA

artemlan said:

But the "GZDoom builder" engine, I think, isn't focused on realization of multystoried ceilings. Unfortunately.

Newcomer or not, it is rather perplexing that one would entertain an assumption like that.

Since GZDoom easily supports multistorey (3D) buildings and GZDoom Builder was/is geared mainly towards supporting the GZDoom features, the assumption makes no sense. What's more, there is also a plugin for GZDB which makes building multiple floors so much easier, especially sloped 3D floors.

If anybody tends to confuse those two distinctly separate programs, then they lack even the most basic understanding of mapping and it behoofs them to do some reading, which we all had to do and still do.

GZDoom Builder is a perfectly valid name, since the main target audience are those mapping for the formats Doom in UDMF or Doom in Hexen, and that MaxED also supports other ports is simply a bonus.

Kappes Buur said:

If anybody tends to confuse those two distinctly separate programs, then they lack even the most basic understanding of mapping and it behoofs them to do some reading, which we all had to do and still do.

Well, but, given how many people have always been confusing them, and new ones still keep doing so, it would be more productive and beneficial to help preventing this situation by renaming GZDB rather than dismiss the issue as irrelevant due to being the people's fault, even if it actually was the people's fault.

Kappes Buur said:

GZDoom Builder is a perfectly valid name, since the main target audience are those mapping for the formats Doom in UDMF or Doom in Hexen, and that MaxED also supports other ports is simply a bonus.

I can't agree with you at all. You might have outdated information. Nowadays, GZDB is being recommended as the universally greatest editor for all of Doom mapping, and lots of (probably already most of) classic Doom format mappers are using it as their primary (respectively their only) map editor.

Kappes Buur said:

Newcomer or not, it is rather perplexing that one would entertain an assumption like that.

It's been like that for a couple of years now. Newcomers seem to think that the available features depend on the editor used and not the engine used.

Back in the days of the first "Doom Builder" nobody was confused that you could not only edit vanilla Doom maps (after all, it only has "Doom" in its name), but also Doom 2, Boom, Heretic, Hexen, ZDoom... maps.

[edit] I propose the name ((((GZ?D)|B)oom 2?)|Heretic|Hexen|Eternity|Strife|Zandronum) Map Builder. That should clear things up. Oh, and SLADE has to be renamed too, after all its name doesn't make it clear at all that it can edit content related to idtech1.

boris said:

Oh, and SLADE has to be renamed too, after all its name doesn't make it clear at all that it can edit content related to idtech1.

At least it's not called SLAPE (SlayeR's Leet-Ass PK3 Editor). That'd be more or less what GZDoom Builder does.

And no, Doom Builder didn't have this problem. Doom engine games and source ports are all related to Doom in some capacity. Having GZDoom in the title is very specific.

boris said:

Oh, and SLADE has to be renamed too, after all its name doesn't make it clear at all that it can edit content related to idtech1.

But... The 'D' in 'SLADE' is an acronym for Doom!

Da Werecat said:

At least it's not called SLAPE (SlayeR's Leet-Ass PK3 Editor). That'd be more or less what GZDoom Builder does.

What about SWAPE (Sirjuddington's Wad And Pk3 Editor)?

scifista42 said:

I can't agree with you at all. You might have outdated information. Nowadays, .......

That more and more mappers are using GZDoom Builder certainly is a feather in MaxED's cap and speaks to the quality of his work, after all it exceeds most features of Doombuilder2 in scope and robustness.

So, GZDOOM Builder is now the recommended editor to use by most mappers, using anything from DOOM/2, BOOM to UDMF formats. But this universality does not mean that renaming the editor is warranted. After all, that is at the sole discretion of the programmer of GZDB, MaxED.

While you subjectively would wish this editor to have a different name, I got/get my information from the GZDB thread on the ZDOOM forum, which is MaxED's official webpage. Bug reports and feature requests go there as well. All one has to do is read said webpage to be informed about the parentage, features and status of the editor.

Until MaxED decides on a new name ......

Awesome project, looks well done so far. How did you rip the textures so cleanly?

As for the elevator thing, you may want to set up an ACS script with Elevator_RaiseToNearest and Elevator_LowerToNearest. Keep in mind that the original ZT had a one story gap between stories when using the elevator. What you'll want to do when going down a story is sink the upper story's elevator by one story, have the lower story's elevator already in a raised position, then do the teleport and immediately lower the lower story's elevator. I could've phrased that better but oh well. :P

As for GZDoom Builder, I don't agree with its name. Should've been renamed Doom Builder 3 a long time ago.

Sodaholic said:

As for GZDoom Builder, I don't agree with its name. Should've been renamed Doom Builder 3 a long time ago.

Agreed. Although I never actually complained about it, this kind of brand hijacking is generally frowned upon.

Could name it Doom Builder 3D or 3D Doom Builder or 3Doom Builder or whatever.

Basically the equivalent of GZDoom Builder, given GZDoom's entire claim to fame is its 3D renderer and features, but without sounding like it's for a specific port.

The word "3D" would imply that the editor allows to edit Doom maps like you edit maps for a true 3D engine (with brushes etc.), while in reality, the map format is 2D as usual.

If it is eventually decided that a new name is given the editor, then my preference
would be MaxDoomBuilder or MaxDoomEditor. Max standing for MaxED or Maximum.

Graf Zahl said:

Agreed. Although I never actually complained about it, this kind of brand hijacking is generally frowned upon.

If MaxED had indeed hijacked the editor in total isolation and simply swiped the name, sure.

But that was not the case. Codeimp not only knew about MaxED forking his editor, he fully
encouraged the fork and gave his blessings. Not only that, but also he provided space on
his Sourceforge page so that GZDoom Builder had a home.

scifista42 said:

GZDB is being recommended as the universally greatest editor for all of Doom mapping

I never asked for this.

Arctangent said:

Basically the equivalent of GZDoom Builder, given GZDoom's entire claim to fame is its 3D renderer and features, but without sounding like it's for a specific port.

But IT IS mainly created for specific port! Vanilla game configurations are a recent addition.

Graf Zahl said:

Although I never actually complained about it, this kind of brand hijacking is generally frowned upon.

...says someone, who hijacked the name from ZDoom.

Graf Zahl said:

I meant hijacking of the "GZDoom" name - which is still mine.

You have patented it or something?

Kappes Buur said:

If it is eventually decided that a new name is given the editor, then my preference
would be MaxDoomBuilder or MaxDoomEditor. Max standing for MaxED or Maximum.

I'm not THAT pretentious. I'll leave that naming scheme to Graf.

Long story short:
1. I like the name. It tells that the editor is based on DB2, it tells the target source port, it's short, it stops people from requesting feature support for other ports.
2. You are a bunch of whiny idiots and need to stop.

The Zero Tolerance project is ready for 80%. I complete lighting and a self-luminescence of textures now. I will lay out the video clip soon.

But this project is based, first of all, on original game. In this mode all atmosphere of the classical game "SEGA Zero Tolerance" version will be observed. Further, I plan to change a little all first plot of this game: with introduction of multystoried levels and an opportunity to move to them without elevators. But on it more time - on development of design of levels will be required.

Interested in the final offering; I was contemplating doing ZT myself (albeit in 3DGE and likely with a less-slavish approach), but piecing together sprites from a mess of tiles from the original ROM seemed like more work than was worth it.

Jayextee said:

Interested in the final offering; I was contemplating doing ZT myself (albeit in 3DGE and likely with a less-slavish approach), but piecing together sprites from a mess of tiles from the original ROM seemed like more work than was worth it.

Hope a release soon. I extracted all enemies sprites almost a year ago. Hope this mod made uses of them :)

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=48804&p=840758&hilit=zero+tolerance+sprites#p840362

hello there

this is very good for begginer mod
the best game ever played on mega drive now comming to doom
few days someone commented in brutal doom facebook modder
i was asking for someone to make this mod for gzdoom/zandronum
sarge mark is very busy with brutal doom 64 but someone shared your video
so i came here to offer any help you need with this
im very fanatic of this game
i am the author of this Alpha Concept with assets from system shock
http://www.indiedb.com/games/psyshock-alpha-demo-concept
sadly my hd got wiped cleaning a 9gb partition with this new diskpart
(curse BG for not making something like fdisk)
so all my work went missing and im not in the mood to make everything again since i lack of scripts and AI to make everything i want
if anyone have any interest in join the project doors are open
the basic idea is to recreate shodans will of her mind port to citadel station with the many so what it must be done is using citadel station as level models but replacing all textures with HD sci fi stuff and recreate almost all enemies from ss2
but im going off topic commenting this
so back to the theme
let me know if i can do anything to help you
laterz!

BTW remember to avoid any problem

* non profit project *

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

we are studying and learning