New Game: The Lost Treasure

The Lost Treasure

Whilst hiking in oh i don't know let's say Coventry, you stumble upon a series of caverns. Upon closer inspection you find that they contain treasure from an ancient civilization. However, the treasure is guarded by what can only be described as meanies as that's what they are. Collect the treasure in each cavern and head for the exit.

Use keys Q A O P or R to Redefine your own.

Authored with R-Tape's excellent CGD.

Many thanks to R-Tape for his fantastic loading screen and assorted in game graphics and for his general help and assistance.

Thanks also to Leespoons for his excellent music.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByxiMYbPnlUdSkRHZTcydnY5Tjg/edit?usp=sharing

game0_zps367c5181.gif

game1_zps81be858c.gif

game2_zps0ca62b26.gif
Post edited by Rebelstar without a cause on

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Nicely done Andy (and Dave - fantastic loading screen, and not just because it's got my name on it!) :)

Now to try and complete it with all 9 lives... *cracks knuckles*
    The comp.sys.sinclair crap games competition 2015
    "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."
  • edited August 2013
    those purple thingies are makin me pull my hair out
  • edited August 2013
    It's 1983 again!

Well done Andy and thanks for using CGD.
    slenkar wrote: »
    those purple thingies are makin me pull my hair out

Me too at first but once sussed the game can be completed pretty easily, as Lee says getting a 'perfect' is the next thing (which I've not managed yet).
  • edited August 2013
    Hey, it's actually playable :) Not very easy but you learn, make progress and eventually advance.

I'm surprised you can still squeeze some fun from game with UGD graphics.
  • edited August 2013
    Nice game!!
    Did not go past screen 1 but I can already notice some nice features:
    1-the purple enemies can actually chase you (they tend to have your x or y coordinates even behind walls), while the snake has its own path
    2-I really love the death explosion...
    3- nice title music (two beeper channels?)
    Are these features, specific of the CGD program or do you have to prgram them yourself?
    Find my (mostly unfinished) games here
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694367894143130/
  • Nice game!!
    Did not go past screen 1 but I can already notice some nice features:
    1-the purple enemies can actually chase you (they tend to have your x or y coordinates even behind walls), while the snake has its own path
    2-I really love the death explosion...
    Are these features, specific of the CGD program or do you have to prgram them yourself?

There's no programming involved. Just set a sprite's type to chaser and it will chase you around the screen. It's really easy and very versatile.
    The death explosion was one of many effects, just choose which one you want, simple! :smile:
    The music was created by Leespoons using Beepola I believe.
  • edited August 2013

Thanks! As Rebelstar says, it was done on Chris Cowley's Beepola, using the Savage beeper engine. There's details of how to add this to title screens in the CGD instructions.
  • edited August 2013
    I?ll try it later on my TK95. :)
    Seems to be a good game.
  • edited August 2013
    that's a tricky game.
  • edited August 2013
    mmm I am slowly getting into CGD and I must say it is quite an interesting tool...it has got some features (like block pushing or painting that I wish were also in AGD)

I wish I could download the instructions but it is not possible.....where can I find them?

Also: as I saw the different examples I understand one cannot animate ugds sprite but then again looking at the sausage loan game I see an animation when the player finishes a level...can this be used to have some animation during the game?
  • edited August 2013
    Hooray, I actually managed to finish it - on my first go..!

Very nice - so simple, yet gets a bit frantic at times.

Going to put the kettle on now.. :D
  • Congratulations Morkin! You've really earned your brew!
  • edited August 2013
    Great game. It's tough, but practice brings its rewards. Will be transferring this to the Nintendo DS immediately!

By the way, not sure if this is courtesy of R-Type's designer, or your implementation of it, but I LOVE the way the purple meanies flick between two spaces while they wait for you behind a wall. Reminds me of many great 1980s games, including the C16/+4 game Dork's Dilemma, which if you haven't played before, is worth a look.

Thank you! :)
  • edited August 2013
    Superb! You took a great crap game and turned it into a great game.
  • edited August 2013
    cant even get past lvl 1 good game though, nice screen/sound effect when you get caught by a purple thingy
  • edited August 2013
    I found one or two early-ish levels quite tough, but after those that I just seemed to fly through a load of them.

The screen with the left/right random arrows flying around is a bit bonkers, but at least you get a bit of a breather after collecting each treasure!
  • edited August 2013
    I've not had a go, but if you like puzzle games that are tile based y'all should have a look at Deadly Rooms of Death, the architect's edition is free http://forum.caravelgames.com/downloads.php

(It's rock hard though!).

Desktop Dungeons is another good game, there is a free version of that too

http://www.desktopdungeons.net/media/
  • edited August 2013
    Riight, time for a cuppa I think :-)
  • edited August 2013
    Morkin wrote: »
    I found one or two early-ish levels quite tough, but after those that I just seemed to fly through a load of them.

The screen with the left/right random arrows flying around is a bit bonkers, but at least you get a bit of a breather after collecting each treasure!

I'm usually ok with level 3 (the green boulder dashy one) but sometimes lose it completely and end up rushing round in big circles and inevitably losing a few lives. Level 5 does my nut in!
    spud wrote: »
    Riight, time for a cuppa I think :-)

I had a cuppa before completing, does that mean it doesn't count? :cry:
  • edited August 2013
    R-Tape wrote: »
    I had a cuppa before completing, does that mean it doesn't count? :cry:

What it means is that your cup needs a refillin', before the next go at the game, yup.
    *tips imaginary cowboy hat*
  • edited August 2013
    Aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh... played it on my TK95...
    I had a wish to destroy my computer. :D

Man... hard game! ;)

But I?ll finish it... back to the game... $$#@#$!#$@#$#@!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited August 2013
    Nice game. Congrats!
  • edited August 2013
    Level 3 I found the hardest and only got through it by sheer blind luck.
  • edited November 2013
    very nice!! I miss the possibility to have bombs to collect so that I could use them as anti-personnel mines to have fun laying traps, you know with a nice explosion
  • edited November 2013
    hikoki wrote: »
    very nice!! I miss the possibility to have bombs to collect so that I could use them as anti-personnel mines to have fun laying traps, you know with a nice explosion

SOMEBODY PLEASE STOP HIKOKI!!!! HE'S ALL OVER THE FORUM ASKING FOR SEQUELS AND IMPROVEMENTS !!!
    :D :D :D :D

Just kidding :D

PS i don't know if you can have explosions with CGD (don't think so, not yet at least) however if you like traps, check "Push n Chase" and you will have all the traps you want (and it is done with CGD...well it is a game I made, i could not resist pointing that out, sorry guys)

PPS having said that, I came back to Lost treasure and boy! it is a treasure of a game!
    :D
  • edited November 2013
    Yo Gabi!! I'm unstoppable indeed : stay tuned because I have more suggestions for Crabby 2 and Tenebra 2

About explosions in The Lost Treasure 2, I saw something in Shuttlebug ;-) something like that plus a nice fx sound would do it. I'll check your game Pushnchase as well of course, expect a few suggestions for a sequel too. :D
  • edited August 2014
    Slowly working my through the CGD inlays.

LostTreasureinlay_lores_zps9f0def36.jpg

Took me 3 goes but played it through on my +2 this affa. Thanks again for a top game Rebelstar!

Here it is at a higher resolution.