00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News!

17,579 Views | 54 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Exciting news for game devs and aspiring game devs: The Construct 3 public beta starts Tuesday, March 28th!

UPDATE: Construct 3 Public Beta is live.

Construct 3 is the follow-up to Construct 2, a game dev tool that lets you make games with drag and drop logic (no programming experience required) and deploy them to web (html5), mobile and PC / Mac. Here are some examples:

Besides improvements over Construct 2, Construct 3 is entirely browser-based, meaning you can work on your game from any computer without ever having to install software. It also has cool features that play great with the web, like remote preview.

We're really excited about Construct 3 and to celebrate, Newgrounds will be hosting a Construct 3 jam from May 15th through the 28th (updated, original deadline was the 21st). This is the tail end of the public beta and during this time Construct 3 creators Scirra will make the FULL VERSION available to EVERYONE. I highly recommend using the beta period to learn your way around Construct 3 so you are ready to unleash its full power during the jam. We'll announce the theme on Monday, May 15th.

If you've never made a game before, this is an excellent time to give it a try and get in on the ground floor of an exciting new platform.

Here's the Scirra announcement of the jam, if you're curious!

Site News

We're close to releasing a big update to Dumping Grounds, utilizing our new layout and introducing drag and drop uploading. We're ditching the secondary file upload page, so you can just drag your file into the main page and it will create a new item. We'll then be bringing drag and drop to projects, profile pics and other places on NG where you upload stuff.

Cool Games

Pinstripe by @wittyhobos (of Coma fame) is arriving on Steam on April 25th. That same day, a generous web demo will be released right here on Newgrounds! It is probably the most impressive web game I've ever played so get hyped.

Miles from @pixeljamgames has three days left on his one week Kickstarter for Cheap Golf. It would be really great to see him succeed; please consider contributing! The project will only be funded if it hits its goal by Monday.

Support

Enjoy Newgrounds? Please consider becoming a Supporter. For $2.99 a month or $25 per year you can fund ongoing NG hosting and development while enjoying a whole slew of perks. Your support is greatly needed and appreciated!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-24 12:34:36

Coolibert! Having used C2 for quite a while on Dinomelt, from what I've seen so far, C3 is adding quite a bunch of helpful improvements to try (specially on the animation-editing aspects).

I'll make sure to be around for the jam!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-24 12:40:36

At 3/24/17 12:34 PM, Butzbo wrote: Coolibert! Having used C2 for quite a while on Dinomelt, from what I've seen so far, C3 is adding quite a bunch of helpful improvements to try (specially on the animation-editing aspects).

I'll make sure to be around for the jam!

Awesome!

For anyone curious about the C3 animation editor:

https://www.scirra.com/blog/194/the-new-image-animation-editor

BBS Signature

can't wait for the game jam! I haven't used Construct before, I guess this is my chance to try it out. Really glad it's browser based, when I'm in class at school I like to program from time to time, and it's sorta a hassle to install stuff on each PC I work at. This will definitely get me to use it more!
I appreciate this.

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-24 13:11:55

Great! I'll check it out, an engine that is entirely browser based sounds cool, I tried Construct 2 and it was cool but i prefered game maker for the time being. But the browser based thing is a good addition to it to recheck the engine.

Great news that Newgrounds partnered with the Construct devs!

It's good to learn something new every day!

Trying to develop games, music and art.

Follow my work!

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-24 13:12:57

At 3/24/17 12:11 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Site News

We're close to releasing a big update to Dumping Grounds, utilizing our new layout and introducing drag and drop uploading. We're ditching the secondary file upload page, so you can just drag your file into the main page and it will create a new item. We'll then be bringing drag and drop to projects, profile pics and other places on NG where you upload stuff.

So, Tom, would you say that you're close to finishing off...a big dump?

#PoopJoke

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-24 13:18:01

At 3/24/17 01:12 PM, ZJ wrote: So, Tom, would you say that you're close to finishing off...a big dump?

#PoopJoke

Yeah and I'm gonna drag and drop it on your doorstep!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-24 13:54:59

Count me in!!!!! Waiting for C3 and the Jam!

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-24 14:13:43

At 3/24/17 12:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: Construct 3 is entirely browser-based, meaning you can work on your game from any computer without ever having to install software. It also has cool features that play great with the web, like remote preview.

This is the most exciting thing I've heard in a while! I feel like every piece of software devoted to making games has been PC only and I've kinda wrote them off, being disappointed. Are there other gaming dev tools out there that are browser-based or is this the first of it's kind that we know of...?

Pretty awesome.

At 3/24/17 02:13 PM, KyleRoberts wrote:
At 3/24/17 12:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: Construct 3 is entirely browser-based, meaning you can work on your game from any computer without ever having to install software. It also has cool features that play great with the web, like remote preview.
This is the most exciting thing I've heard in a while! I feel like every piece of software devoted to making games has been PC only and I've kinda wrote them off, being disappointed. Are there other gaming dev tools out there that are browser-based or is this the first of it's kind that we know of...?

Pretty awesome.

Construct 3 is the most ambitious browser-based app of ANY KIND that I've seen.

Another promising browser app is Wick, which I have a big soft spot for because it's a lot like Flash:

http://wickeditor.com/

I made this with it (use arrow keys to walk left and right) and want to try something a little fancier once it has more features.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-24 15:22:59

This is incredibly exciting!!

Built my first game for the C2 jam, and I hadn't heard about C3 yet! Gonna have to contribute again this year. Can't wait!!

I like exclamation points!!!!

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-24 15:33:50

I really want in on this but I'm afraid that I'm going to be on vacation during the the actual contest. I'll definitely give Construct 3 a try during the beta though.

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-24 17:04:50

Construct Threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! I'll try it!!

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-24 17:29:40

At 3/24/17 12:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: We're close to releasing a big update to Dumping Grounds ... introducing drag and drop uploading.

But it already has drag and drop!

At 3/24/17 12:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: We're ditching the secondary file upload page, so you can just drag your file into the main page and it will create a new item.

Don't confuse this with the above.

At 3/24/17 12:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: We'll then be bringing drag and drop to projects, profile pics and other places on NG where you upload stuff.

Again, but there is already drag and drop! Naturally, just drag the file from the explorer, and well, drop it in the appropriate place, that is, in the upload page, anywhere in the upload area! You're introducing nothing, but rather, it seems like a noob error...

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-24 17:43:13

At 3/24/17 05:29 PM, ThePhenomenon wrote:
At 3/24/17 12:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: We're close to releasing a big update to Dumping Grounds ... introducing drag and drop uploading.
But it already has drag and drop!

Dammit well at some point browsers (Chrome at least) updated to let you drag onto old school upload forms. Our new one is a prettier and more legit drop zone. On the main page. Dammit.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-24 21:11:34

NG Zero Hour was solid, this sounds like a decent engine

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-25 00:50:44

This looks interesting. I'll try it out.

Code Red was made in Construct 2 as well! Being a visual scripting enviroment, I learnt a lot of Game developtment programming logic, I learnt about gamedev in general, and I grow up as a game developer with the engine, so now, that the next step of scirra has come, I'm looking forward to try it! seems really great!

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-25 05:58:27

At 3/24/17 01:18 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/24/17 01:12 PM, ZJ wrote: So, Tom, would you say that you're close to finishing off...a big dump?

#PoopJoke
Yeah and I'm gonna drag and drop it on your doorstep!

Dragon Dropped!

Also I hope you're not saying we'll no longer be able to upload things normally with a file upload dialogue and instead be forced to drag and drop everything? It's nice as a feature, but you shouldn't remove the normal file upload ability. Not everyone wants to put all their stuff on their desktop and/or even uses graphical file browsers.

I hope I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying here and you're not seriously thinking on forcing drag-and-drop as the only way of doing things.

As for Construct 3, that sounds nice if you can do everything from their website and not have to install software (which may not be available for all OSes).

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-25 08:39:52

At 3/25/17 02:31 AM, Oultrox wrote: Code Red was made in Construct 2 as well! Being a visual scripting enviroment, I learnt a lot of Game developtment programming logic, I learnt about gamedev in general, and I grow up as a game developer with the engine, so now, that the next step of scirra has come, I'm looking forward to try it! seems really great!

I should have included that! I've added it to the Construct 2 collection now. I'd really like people to be able to specify their tools right in the project system and have pages auto-generated based on that. Same with animation, music and even art.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-25 08:40:47

At 3/25/17 05:58 AM, NeonSpider wrote: I hope I'm just misunderstanding what you're saying here and you're not seriously thinking on forcing drag-and-drop as the only way of doing things.

You will still be able to click the drop zone and select a file via your file browser, so you'll have both options.

BBS Signature

Getting hyped! Though probably won't have time to make stuff: looking forward to seeing what people do. Groovy news about that upcoming drop zone update too!

At 3/24/17 02:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: I made this with it (use arrow keys to walk left and right) and want to try something a little fancier once it has more features.

Awesome. XD

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-26 05:28:53

Sounds very interesting! I always wanted to develop games that I can post on NG before, but just kept gaving up... Also, 3 is my lucky number... I think it's just destiny for me to try this game dev tool out :)

While you're reading this, I'm stealing your cookies...

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-28 01:04:07

Can we still use Construct 2?

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-28 09:01:10

Where i can try construct3?

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-28 09:46:08

At 3/28/17 09:01 AM, fabiosabr wrote: Where i can try construct3?

Expect it to be available later today.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-28 10:04:19

At 3/24/17 12:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: Exciting news for game devs and aspiring game devs: The Construct 3 public beta starts Tuesday, March 28th!

Where can we download the beta? I looked around the site and didn't see a link...

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-28 10:35:39

At 3/28/17 10:04 AM, KyleRoberts wrote:
At 3/24/17 12:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: Exciting news for game devs and aspiring game devs: The Construct 3 public beta starts Tuesday, March 28th!
Where can we download the beta? I looked around the site and didn't see a link...

They are in the process of launching right now - there's some technical issues going on so give it a minute to settle down.

https://www.scirra.com/blog/202/construct-3-public-beta-now-available

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-28 10:41:54

At 3/28/17 10:35 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/28/17 10:04 AM, KyleRoberts wrote:
They are in the process of launching right now - there's some technical issues going on so give it a minute to settle down.

https://www.scirra.com/blog/202/construct-3-public-beta-now-available

Update, looks like it's good to go now:

https://editor.construct.net/

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam & Other News! 2017-03-28 12:28:28

I used Construct 3 to make an HTML5 version of the title screen for the game I've been working on with JohnnyUtah and Spazkid. Big reveal - it's called Nightmare Cops and you play as cops who fight peoples' nightmares.

I need to get into C3 masking to add some other sparkly effects from the official title screen.

BBS Signature