Sub Rosa

Sub Rosa

Wisecracker Oct 19, 2015 @ 2:26pm
Is this game hard to run or what?
On the faq it says its not optomized even for good systems, but how hard can a game with box people and pixel graphics be to run?
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
JJRcop Oct 19, 2015 @ 3:21pm 
A lot of games are made on third party game engines that have been in development for 20+ years, crypticsea started development on this game in ~2012 and is using a self-made engine created just for Sub Rosa.

This means he has complete control over absolutely everything that happens, and since he wrote everything, there is nothing that he doesn't understand unless he forgets what it does. It also makes Sub Rosa an astonishing 32 megabytes uncompressed even including the third party libraries like speex and OpenAL.

It also means the engine has not had 120+ programmers that have had plenty plenty of time to iron out a lot of problems and inefficiencies, just one guy and 3 years. There can be a lot of inefficiencies where he calls a function more times than he needs to, eating at the GPU cycles, and even a host of problems that only affect certain chips but not others because they handle things a little differently.

So the answer to the question "how hard can a game with box people ane pixel graphics be to run?": Very hard if you're making everything from scratch. (aside from speex and some audio files, I'm pretty sure everything was made by crypticsea and now briannumberone)
Last edited by JJRcop; Oct 19, 2015 @ 3:22pm
Wisecracker Oct 19, 2015 @ 3:51pm 
Originally posted by JJRcop:
A lot of games are made on third party game engines that have been in development for 20+ years, crypticsea started development on this game in ~2012 and is using a self-made engine created just for Sub Rosa.

This means he has complete control over absolutely everything that happens, and since he wrote everything, there is nothing that he doesn't understand unless he forgets what it does. It also makes Sub Rosa an astonishing 32 megabytes uncompressed even including the third party libraries like speex and OpenAL.

It also means the engine has not had 120+ programmers that have had plenty plenty of time to iron out a lot of problems and inefficiencies, just one guy and 3 years. There can be a lot of inefficiencies where he calls a function more times than he needs to, eating at the GPU cycles, and even a host of problems that only affect certain chips but not others because they handle things a little differently.

So the answer to the question "how hard can a game with box people ane pixel graphics be to run?": Very hard if you're making everything from scratch. (aside from speex and some audio files, I'm pretty sure everything was made by crypticsea and now briannumberone)
You really didnt answer my question regarding if this game is hard to run?
Last edited by Wisecracker; Oct 19, 2015 @ 3:52pm
JJRcop Oct 19, 2015 @ 6:14pm 
Originally posted by Demetrius:

My bad, the answer is.. probably.

If you want silky smooth 60fps that never drops, wait until it's released, it's not there yet.
Langley Oct 19, 2015 @ 6:59pm 
It is now optimized. Even with my ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ I get over console frames in shootouts.
Buy the game at www.subrosagame.com
Tapatun Oct 20, 2015 @ 10:50am 
I want JJRcop's answer to be pinned somewhere on this forum - nice job explaining the peculiarities of indie games without rage (and that's not sarcasm)!
Dakkat Oct 20, 2015 @ 4:11pm 
Originally posted by Weef:
It is now optimized. Even with my ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ I get over console frames in shootouts.
The game's optimization is an on-going process and is far from finished. However big steps have been made and some users that were having trouble running the game have reported better proformance on their machines.

Originally posted by Tapatun:
I want JJRcop's answer to be pinned somewhere on this forum - nice job explaining the peculiarities of indie games without rage (and that's not sarcasm)!
Indeed! I'll look to link to it somewhere so it doesn't get lost.

It's just a gamble as to whether you'll be able to run it at the frame rate you want to or not. As an alpha it will have many issues that may affect one's ability to play. If you're not ready to work through these issues it might be better to hold off on purchasing it until it is available on Steam.
Last edited by Dakkat; Oct 20, 2015 @ 4:12pm
Wisecracker Oct 20, 2015 @ 5:07pm 
Originally posted by Joe A.:
Originally posted by Weef:
The game's optimization is an on-going process and is far from finished. However big steps have been made and some users that were having trouble running the game have reported better proformance on their machines.

Originally posted by Tapatun:
Indeed! I'll look to link to it somewhere so it doesn't get lost.

It's just a gamble as to whether you'll be able to run it at the frame rate you want to or not. As an alpha it will have many issues that may affect one's ability to play. If you're not ready to work through these issues it might be better to hold off on purchasing it until it is available on Steam.
Thanks man, ill probabally wait and see how things progress, game seems like it has a good premise which is why im interested.
pepsi Nov 23, 2015 @ 5:06pm 
before alpha 25 came out i was hitting 20fps at most, but eventually alpha 25 cam out and i was running at silky smooth 60 with the occasional stutter. it's pretty easy to run now than before, that's for sure.
As a box person I find this offensive
< >
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Oct 19, 2015 @ 2:26pm