GameMaker: Studio

GameMaker: Studio

View Stats:
AssetCompiler Chokes.
I haven't been able to build a single program with this thing.
Oh, ya, DnD is great, lot's to choose from. Woopty Do....
But try running your game, hell, I can't even get this thing to compile.
I paid $100 for this Pro version and got zip.
Lookin' like a rip to me so far...
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Joff Jan 19, 2014 @ 4:02am 
So you made a mistake somewhere, have not shared any information on what you have done and it is the products fault?

What does the error say?
Northern Pike Jan 19, 2014 @ 7:40am 
Well, like I told the YoYo guys, the "Error Report" get's sent everytime so they have numerous notifications from me clicking the "Send Error Report" button. But, if you want to know what it says, ok, here goes....

GameMaker:Studio AssetCompiler has encountered a problem.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
-------
Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Please tell YoYo Games Ltd. about this problem.
To help improive the software you use, YoYo Games Ltd. is interested in learning more about this error. We have created a report about the error for you to send to us.

Powered by {sa}

------------------------------------

That's the entire contents of the dialog. I clicked the "Send Error Report" button and that's it.
And everytime I try to run the small tutorial, I get this dialog. I must have clicked the "Send..." button 15 times allready.

So, yes, it is the product. It seems the install failed to me yet there was nor is any indication of such a thing happening. Everything seemed to go fine. Up untill the point I try to run. Then, BOOM!!

Any ideas???
Joff Jan 19, 2014 @ 9:21am 
That error is showing a file is missing which is odd. What version are you running and what is the tutorial that is failing?

Have you tried to open a new project and just click run to see what happens?
Northern Pike Jan 19, 2014 @ 9:58am 
Odd, yes, which is why I suspect the install process. Here's the thing, when I first went to MAKE a game, the two tutorials were listed but when I selected the first one and the IDE opened, it was empty of any files. Same with the other tutorial.
So I went to YoYo website and downloaded the 01 - My First Game1.gmx and opened it and followed the instructions to a tee but to no avail. BOOM!
Also, I just created a brand new project, added a room and tried to run it but the same thing happened. I think YoYo is going to get upset with all these reports going to them. I hate to do that but what else can I do except wave the flag right???

Any more ideas???
I haven't heard from YoYo yet. Unless that's you. I am assuming your with Steam. Yes/No???
Northern Pike Jan 19, 2014 @ 10:05am 
Ok. I am going to give you the listing of the compiling for the new project with a room that I mentioned above to answer your request.
--------

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\gamemaker_studio\GMAssetCompiler.exe" /c /m=win /config="Default" /tgt=64 /tg="C:\Users\Pike\AppData\Local\Temp\gm_ttt_18247\\TextureGroups.txt" /to="C:\Users\Pike\AppData\Local\Temp\gm_ttt_18247\\TextureOptions.txt" /obob=True /obpp=False /obru=True /obes=False /i=3 /cvm /tp=2048 /mv=1 /iv=0 /rv=0 /bv=1224 /gn="MyNewProject1jks" /td="C:\Users\Pike\AppData\Local\Temp" /cd="C:\Users\Pike\Documents\GameMaker\Cache" /o="C:\Users\Pike\AppData\Local\Temp\gm_ttt_18247" "C:/Users/Pike/Documents/GameMaker/Projects/MyNewProject1jks.gmx/MyNewProject1jks.project.gmx"

Asset Compile finished: 12:00:51 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------
executing C:\Users\Pike\AppData\Local\Temp\gm_ttt_18247\MyNewProject1jks.win
-----------------------------------------------------------
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\gamemaker_studio\Runner.exe" -game "C:\Users\Pike\AppData\Local\Temp\gm_ttt_18247\MyNewProject1jks.win"

RunnerLoadGame: C:\Users\Pike\AppData\Local\Temp\gm_ttt_18247\MyNewProject1jks.win
#########################################################################
####!!!!$$$$$$ pwd - C:\Users\Pike\AppData\Local\Temp\gm_ttt_18247\
#########################################################################
RunnerLoadGame() - C:\Users\Pike\AppData\Local\Temp\gm_ttt_18247\\MyNewProject1jks.win
Checking if INIFile C:\Users\Pike\AppData\Local\Temp\gm_ttt_18247\/options.ini Exists
!!!!No INI File C:\Users\Pike\AppData\Local\Temp\gm_ttt_18247\/options.ini
Reading File C:\Users\Pike\AppData\Local\Temp\gm_ttt_18247\\MyNewProject1jks.win
FAILED to load File C:\Users\Pike\AppData\Local\Temp\gm_ttt_18247\\MyNewProject1jks.win
Get Resolution
Compile finished: 12:00:57 PM

---------------
Jafaar Jan 19, 2014 @ 10:32am 
Try reinstalling it?
Northern Pike Jan 19, 2014 @ 10:52am 
No, I have not, but I did go to the MG page on Steam, select the Pro version, and instead of being able to purchase it, since I already did, it provides a button to play it. Which then opens the PLAY/MAKE splash to take you on your way. In my case, to GM Professional.
Just exactly how would I re-install it anyway. Steam seems to control all aspects of installs these days. That's one reason why I like it so much. I t never fails me.
Jafaar Jan 19, 2014 @ 11:10am 
Library > Right click game maker studio > properties > local files > verify integrity game cache.
if this does not work try this >
Library > right click game maker studio > delete local game content > and just reinstall the app
Joff Jan 19, 2014 @ 11:10am 
Looks like your problem is with the runner and a missing file.

Start off by trying to verify the local files (Right click on GMS in Steam > Properties > Local FIles > Verify)

If that fails select Betas then Current-1 or 2 and see if that makes a difference. If both of these options fail delete the local content and try again.

Some of the tutorials on the YoYo site won't work with GMS as they are designed for earlier versions so you will need to mess around a bit to make them work. I am also nothing to do with Valve or YoYo Games I just like to help out when possible.
Northern Pike Jan 19, 2014 @ 11:16am 
I did the integrity verification a few minutes ago. All files validated.
I didn't delete the content though. Not yet ready to go that far.
Don't know what that does exactly. Does it remove the app??? Completely?
The Studio is free, but the Pro version I bought is $99. Will that get re-installed as well???
Sorry, I'm just leary of deleteing anything yet.
I do appreciate the help.

Also, I think I may have a clue. Another dialog popped up saying simply...

ERROR: Could not find steam_api.dll
Ensure Steam SDK settings are set.

I thought that was all fine and dandy. How can I verify or setup the Steam SDK?
Jafaar Jan 19, 2014 @ 11:21am 
Originally posted by Northern Pike:
I did the integrity verification a few minutes ago. All files validated.
I didn't delete the content though. Not yet ready to go that far.
Don't know what that does exactly. Does it remove the app??? Completely?
The Studio is free, but the Pro version I bought is $99. Will that get re-installed as well???
Sorry, I'm just leary of deleteing anything yet.
I do appreciate the help.

Also, I think I may have a clue. Another dialog popped up saying simply...

ERROR: Could not find steam_api.dll
Ensure Steam SDK settings are set.

I thought that was all fine and dandy. How can I verify or setup the Steam SDK?

Yeah, dont worry, if you have paid for the pro version. it will automatically reinstall it aswell with the base game maker studio.

The delete cache deletes all the files of your app, and like i said when you reinstall it steam will install the pro version with it. since it is registerd onto your account. so dont worry about that.

(im not sure though that it wont delete your current game projects so make sure u make a copy of them).
Northern Pike Jan 19, 2014 @ 11:55am 
Ok, I deleted the content. Went to my library, saw GM, clicked the Install. Everything seemed to go just fine. Opened it up. Tried to run a simple game as before. No damn different. Same AssetCompiler error and same Steam SDK error message. What is with this SDK anyways. Where do I get it from? I believe I am a member of the Workshop, if that's even necessary.
I'm getting confused and impatient. Either this thing is going to work or not. I am going to see if the YoYo guys reply at all. I'll give them a few days. If nothing happens or gets fixed, well, then, I suppose I will just have to don my Pirates hat and go on the rampage against GM.
Northern Pike Jan 19, 2014 @ 1:57pm 
OK !!! Check this out. You may want to make a note of this fix. I seem to have figured something out by hacking at it and saw an interesting statement.
First, I looked at the contents of the GameMaker folder and saw an install txt file.
I dropped it into wordpad and noticed an environment setup calling a dotnetFx35 file.
I then noticed this setup file for Net 3.5 and double clicked it to see if it would install.
Nope. A dialog instructed me that the "Windows Features" had to be turned on in the Control Panel. Hmmmm. I go to Control Panel, Double Click Programs and Features, I see on the left a clickable phrase "Turn Windows Features on or off....". I click it, a dialog pops up with a list of checkboxes to enable Windows Features for various types of software. The box for "Games" was NOT checked, I checked it. And some others I thought should be. Clicked OK, closed the Control Panel and started GM from within Steam.
Selected MAKE.
Selected My First Game tutorial with the clown and the walls that I downloaded as mentioned above. The IDE opened up with the project. I clicked Run. IT RAN !!!!!!!!
Can you believe it. The "Windows Features" was turned OFF for "Games".
Well, so far, so good. Will continue my quest down the GM path.....
Thanks for all the help.
John Shaffstall aka Northern Pike
Stonth Jan 20, 2014 @ 7:37am 
After the previous post, I would like to quote the teachings of Gandhi:
Originally posted by Mahatma Gandhi:
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.
Joff Jan 20, 2014 @ 8:58am 
Just for future reference. All of the Game Maker products that you purchase on Steam are DLC so you if you do delete it just download the base (Game Maker Studio Free) and the DLC side will unlock in the application to give you the standard, pro or addons that you purchased as well.

Glad that you managed to sort out the issue although it looked to be machine based rather than Steam / GMS. The 2 times I have seen Games disabled is in a corporate environment or if the machine was second hand.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jan 18, 2014 @ 9:41pm