Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Unity 5.3] Simple Multiplayer Game Tutorial

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by GTGD, Mar 10, 2016.

1. GTGD

GTGD

2. vanpro

vanpro

I'm trying to implement player health bar in first person camera mode, but the bar only rotate in server side player. I've synced the y rotation value but the local non-controlled player's bar not rotate accordingly. Would you mind giving a clue for how to do this, thank you.

3. GTGD

GTGD

Don't network health bars, treat them just like the enemy ones

4. vanpro

vanpro

I didn't network the health bars, but the y rotation of the local player fps camera. Sorry for not mention about that and I not quite understand about your meaning of treating them like enemy. I'm quite new to unity networking and unet anyway.

5. GTGD

GTGD

Study the tutorials, for the player they should see their own health on their HUD canvas. Other players shouldn't see that, instead they should just see a bar that hovers over your players head.

6. Sruthin55

Sruthin55

Hi I just have a problem with UNET and I've been stuck on for quiet a while now . Here is what I want
    I want the host and the client to be able to instantiate an object

1. public void objectPlacement() {
    2. if (isLocalPlayer) {
    3. if (Input.GetKeyUp(KeyCode.E))
    4. {
    5. Debug.Log("InsideKeyCodeE");
    6. placedObstaclesCounter++;
    7. Debug.Log ("placedObstaclesCounter");
    8. Debug.Log (playersObstacles.Length);
    9. if (placedObstaclesCounter < playersObstacles.Length)
    10. {
    11. Debug.Log("InsidePlace");
    12. CmdGenerateObstacles ();

13. Debug.Log("InsidePlace222");
    14. }
    15. else
    16. {
    17. Debug.Log("Player1'sobstacleplacementisdone!");
    18. //lane.transform.position=endPosition.transform.position;
    19. //this.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    20. }
    21. //}

22. }

23. }
    24. }

25. [Command]
    26. public void CmdGenerateObstacles ()
    27. {
    28. Debug.Log("InNetworkSpawn");
    29. GameObject prefab = playersObstacles [placedObstaclesCounter];
    30. spawnPosition = GameObject.Find (thisPlayerName).transform;
    31. GameObject newObstacle = Instantiate (prefab, spawnPosition.position,Quaternion.identity) as GameObject;
    32. movingObstacle = newObstacle;
    33. NetworkServer.Spawn (newObstacle);
    34. newObstacle.transform.parent = localPlayerPlane.transform;
    35. }

The host is successfully able to spawn an object and works fine , but nothing happens when I try to run it on the client . I have localplayerautority set and all the prefabs have network identity and are set as spoonable objects in network manager . Any help would be greatly appreciated

7. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

To be honest, that health bar was a bit of a hack, as I didn't want to spend the time in this networking tutorial to do health bars correctly. That's more of a ui tutorial. They probably should be tracked in screen space which would require registering them over the network. I have not followed @GTGD 's project, so they may have a better solution.

8. Sruthin55

Sruthin55

@Adam Buckner I suppose you are representing unity , I have the problem where I'm not able to instantiate an object from the client . I've done a lot of research and above is my code . I'm a student and I've been stuck ob this for a while now , any help would be greatly appreciated

9. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Can you start by listing formatted code? If this is not part of this tutorial series, however, I would suggest starting your own thread, as I would assume @GTGD would like to keep this thread on-topic and related to his recordings of the tutorial series.

10. vanpro

vanpro

@Adam, the problem been solved after I reviewed the tutorial, thanks.

11. Alacer

Alacer

Edit: nvm, it works now with if(isServer), dont know why it didnt before.

My players' healthbars are not updating, or moving at all.
    I tested with a print ("Taken "+amount+" damage."); in the TakeDamage function, and it never reach it.
    My TakeDamage function is this:
    public void TakeDamage(int amount)
    {
    if(!Network.isServer)
    {
    return;
    }
    currentHealth -= amount;
    print ("Taken "+amount+" damage.");
    if(currentHealth <= 0)
    {
    currentHealth = 0;
    print ("Dead");
    }

}
    Almost same as in the tut, except the if(!Network.isServer), because it throws an error without the Network in front.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  12. AhmedGalal1987

AhmedGalal1987

Hello everybody,

I need urgent help .. i have applied changes of enemy prefab wrongly to player prefab!

Could someone upload his project files or only player prefab on tutorial 13 ??

Thanks in advance :)

13. Slow-Down

Slow-Down

Hi everyone,

I need some help. I used this tutorial creating android fps and my problem is whenever i click, the bullet spawns in different position or like it spawns where I last applied changes to my character. I used button instead of getkey. Any help will be much appreciated. thank you.

14. cocadaboa

cocadaboa

How can I do to make the movement among players more smooth? I'm having such lag here even changing the variables on network component...

15. viv710

viv710

Hi All,
    How can i drag the same gameobject in both server and client side and also it should reflect on the other side. (If i am dragging a gameobject from the server side it should reflect on client side and i am selecting the same gameobject from the client and dragging, it should reflect on server side...)

16. TheGameLearner

TheGameLearner

Hey @GTGD I followed your tutorial and make UI canvas options to playe the game on an android platform... But i am unable to find each other game instance between two android phones. How do I find the players who are connected to the same WiFi connection?

17. deanmayo

deanmayo

hi I am at the part of making player movement. I did exactly what you did in the video but my player is not moving!
    can you maybe tell me why or what should I do in order to make player movement.