Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Per Object Glow [Postprocessing][Unity Free]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Marrrk, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Marrrk

Marrrk

Hi there,

a friend of mine (FlatterBacke) would like to present an asset he is working on.

It is a post processing selective glow effect for Unity Free.

SzaOne
    created the textures for the WebPlayer demo scene:
    WebPlayer

YouTube

AssetStore Link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/9525

http://www.flatter.syrka.net/Unity/Assets/IndiGlowLab/Pictures/HighFactorVorschau.jpg

http://www.flatter.syrka.net/Unity/Assets/IndiGlowLab/Pictures/HighFactorVorschau2.jpg

Comparision: Left Glow, Right no Glow
    http://www.flatter.syrka.net/Unity/...ctures/HighFactorVorschau3_HalfScreenGlow.jpg

Check the WebPlayer Link which displays the effect more than a simple screenshot can ever do!

The glow effect is working with all renderer Unity provides:

• Particles
    • Meshs
    • Skinned Meshs

All you need to do is to place a Post Process Glow Component on your Camera GameObject and a Glow Component on the object which you want to let glow.

You can design every aspect of the glow yourself by simple customizing a Material, this Material needs to be placed on the Glow Component. The Glow Asset contains many predefined materials and shaders. Ranging from simple static glow to pulsing glow, to moving glow.

You can change the glow range, the glow intensity and the used glow texture (which indirectly influences the glow range and memory pressure and speed).

The glow is dependent on the distance to the glowing object, so that objects far away will not over glow everything.

The Glow Asset was designed to only have a very small performance impact (limited to the possibilities of Unity Free)

FlatterBacke
    is polishing the WebPlayer demo and writing the documentation for it, after that it will be released into the AssetStore for 10$.

If you are looking for a Unity Pro solution you shoulkd check out the fantasic Glow 11 package, build by SRH:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/180602-Glow-11-for-desktop-and-mobile

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  2. ZJP

ZJP

OMG. The Glow War began...
    Yes...do it FlatterBacke.

3. Marrrk

Marrrk

Well the other war was a bad thing, is this a good thing now or do you consider the price to high?

4. ZJP

ZJP

Absolutely not. That is why I spoke of war : The price is lower than other market solutions. This is a very good thing....for the customers ;)

5. Marrrk

Marrrk

Well the price is not as high as other solutions because it is for Unity Free and cant procide the same quality like the post processing effects possible in Unity Pro ;)

6. John-G

John-G

Nice, bring the glow ;)

7. aubergine

aubergine

So, my old and free pack "image effects for unity free" and my original "glow per object" is combined and served as a new deal here.
    You could atleast change the name.

8. Marrrk

Marrrk

I and FlatterBacke did not know your asset, your per Object Glow Asset is also Pro only and a pretty generic name anyway. As this asset is not yet present in the store the name is still changeable.

The title was only to describe the feature of it, no reason to be offended.

Its also not a very nice thing to accuse others of using your material to rebrand/rebuild it without reason or evidence. This asset which is presented in this thread is original content.

Have a nice day good sir.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  9. ZJP

ZJP

It seems that you are the ONLY developer who can do a Glow Shader. Right?

@Marrrk
    You see what I've talked about? :(

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  10. SRH

SRH

Looks good considering it doesn't require Pro.

And being for Unity Free also means there are a lot more potential customers (if RenderTextures would be supported in Unity Free I would drop the price of my glow in an instant)

11. Marrrk

Marrrk

@ZJP: I hope Aubergine only had a bad day.

@SRH: RTT Support would be very nice, very sad its not available in Unity Free, but with it, many Unity Pro features would be gone. I understand the decision to remove them from Unity Free.

12. Marrrk

Marrrk

A little update:

• SzaOne recreated most of the textures for the sample scene (hey its our shiny out showcase ;))
    • The documentation is completed (in German) and will be translated to English.
    • Proper error handling has been added to reduce the cases of confused people who use the asset without reading the documentation
    • Some values of the glow have been tweaked
    The WebPlayer along screenshots have been updated and can be reviewed at the start post of this thread :)

Have a good day.

Oh yes, and to reduce the impact of ripe fruits, we named the Asset "Indie Glow", simple and describes what it does. It makes things.... glow.

13. Marrrk

Marrrk

14. ZJP

ZJP

Deal! Thx.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  15. Marrrk

Marrrk

We updated the asset, now some changes you do to your camera (like changing the field of view) will also reflect upon the glow. Also the Sample scene has been updated to show a possible effect you can create with the glow (ghost objects).

Also if yomeone stumbles upon this thread and looks for a Unity Pro solution, you should check out the Glow 11 asset from SRH:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/180602-Glow-11-for-desktop-and-mobile

16. Marrrk

Marrrk

17. Cyrien5100

Cyrien5100

How do fake the render texture with Unity free ? Do you think its possible to have other post effects with your technique ?

18. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

good work.

19. Marrrk

Marrrk

Yes its possible to make different effects, we are working on it.