Search Unity

Improve your Unity game by adding x86 support. Win Stuff.

Discussion in 'Android' started by Aurore, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

With the launch of 4.6, we also included x86 support for Android, check the steps on how to produce a FAT APK that includes both x86 and ARM libraries. https://software.intel.com/en-us/an...t-to-android-apps-using-the-unity-game-engine

We’ve got a giant pot of prizes to give away as part of a sweepstakes, we’ve thrown in some Unity 5 Pro Licenses and Intel have very kindly provided 50 Tablets and 30 SSD's. All you need to do is add x86 support to your existing or new Android app, add the phrase “Optimized for Intel x86 mobile devices” in the description of the app and send us link by filling out the entry form by Feb 14, 2015 4PM PST (Pacific Standard Time).
    http://bit.ly/unityx86sweepstake

Wondering what kind of performance boost you can get as a result of x86? Jumpstart (School of Dragons) have published their performance results https://software.intel.com/en-us/ar...performance-for-jumpstart-s-school-of-dragons

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  2. christo17452

christo17452

The instructions just say to build for android. I'm assuming this means that by building with 4.6 or higher you are including x86 support?

3. newlife

newlife

you can choose to include x86 compatibilty or not in device filter (in Other Settings panel of Player Settings):
    FAT (ARM7 + x86)
    ARM7
    x86

4. Aurigan

Aurigan

Shame it adds so much to the binary size (+6.2mb for my app).

5. goat

goat

I actually bought a Android tablet after entering this contest but saw none that used Intel processors so I bought a Android with ARM processor.

I did buy a Windows tablet for almost the same price as the Android tablet I bought (~$75) and lo and behold it is Windows 8.1 64 bit OS complete running on HW nearly the same as my super expensive 3 year PC tablet except for tablet size and a couple of minor features. Whoa, OK.

6. Aurigan

Aurigan

Discovered you can make multiple apks so have built an x86 one and entered the competition :)

There is a bug in the signup form though in that after you submit you're asked more questions and then filling that in takes you to a pro license giveaway competition that apparently ended months ago.

7. goat

goat

Is that still there?

8. Elkis

Elkis

And, if you fill that too, it keeps taking you to the same old form in a loop :p

9. lorenalexm

lorenalexm

In regards to the entry deadline, on both the entry form page and the terms and conditions for the contest the date is stated as 14 Feb 2015 as opposed to 31 Jan 2015 stated here. Would it be possible to get some clarification as to the date of the official deadline?

10. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

That date was changed from 31 Jan to 14 Feb yesterday, due to high demand. The OP in this thread wasn't updated in a while.

11. lorenalexm

lorenalexm

@Devil_Inside Thank you very much for the clarification! I must have missed the Facebook post in my feed, I really need to get around to cleaning that up one of these days..

12. goat

goat

By careful not to enter more than once as others have done because the entry webpage cycles. It might get you disqualified.

13. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Correct, the date has changed to Feb 14th, sorry I missed out on changing it in the OP. It's been changed now though.

Devil_Inside likes this.
  14. goat

goat

15. Elkis

Elkis

Is that true? Because I filled that too just in case :(

16. goat

goat

Not sure how those forms get submitted but I do know originally I thought the second set of forms was a separate but still active drawing for a Unity Pro license so I filled it out too but in the comments section I did not include a link in the Asset Store to my i86 app because I thought it was a separate drawing. However, the previous submission I did have the link to my Google Play app.

So today I got an email stating my submission did not contain a link to my Google Play app so if I were to guess I'd guess my 1st submission, the correct one with the link to the i86 app, was overwritten by the second incorrect submission that I made without the link to i86 app.

If both of your submissions contained that link I believe the rest of the other information collected was the same so you're good to go. If you want to be sure however, I'd submit one more time, correctly, so that you know you are entered.

17. Elkis

Elkis

I just got that e-mail too! I submitted the form one more time. I just hope I don't get disqualified because of multiple submissions :(

18. elmar1028

elmar1028

So winners would be announced on February 14th?

Edit: Stupid webpage cycles it asked me my info several times and some survey questions. Fortunately it asked me for a Google Play link once only. Is it normal?

19. jdscogin

jdscogin

Have the winners been announced?

20. dougalicious

dougalicious

Were there any actual winners...

21. elmar1028

elmar1028

@Aurore What happened? Did you postpone the contest or did you abandoned it?

22. Elkis

Elkis

When they extended the deadline they sent an e-mail stating that they would announce the winners three weeks after the end date, that would be 03/06/2015. So, there is still time to get anxious :p

elmar1028 likes this.
  23. elmar1028

elmar1028

Ah! Just went through my mail box. The winner will be announced this month :)

24. AgusB

AgusB

Any news about the contest?

25. jdscogin

jdscogin

Well, I was hoping to win a Unity Pro License, but since Personal Edition, I don't think I need it.
    Here is a little demo I did with the personal edition. Could not have done much of it with Unity Free.
    http://imjustacoffeefilter.com/web.html

26. pkMinhas_MarchingBytes

pkMinhas_MarchingBytes

I won the Pro license :D

27. elmar1028

elmar1028

Yeah sure you did!

28. kscho

kscho

We at CKS Studio are happy to announce that we won a Unity Pro license in the sweeptakes!

Last month, we submitted 4 entries (Billionaire Blitz, Deported Iguana, Hyper Rift and Septenary) into the sweeptakes. Honestly speaking, we didn't expect to win anything as we knew we would be competing with thousands. Well, WHAT A SURPRISE!

Well thank you Unity! We vow to make more Unity games in the future! Look out for our studio's very first 3D game!

29. elmar1028

elmar1028

Email stating that you won l or it didn't happen.
    Besides you are not allowed to submit more than once.

30. kscho

kscho

We didn't submit more than once. We submitted once per game. Before the submission we've checked with Unity and it was officially allowed.

31. elmar1028

elmar1028

Ok, but you still didn't show an email stating that you have won the Unity Pro license. Besides it would've been officially announced via blog just like other contests.

32. pkMinhas_MarchingBytes

pkMinhas_MarchingBytes

Fact is, we got an email. It contains the license key so no one is going to show you the said email.

33. elmar1028

elmar1028

Nice try. But you can always cut out the license key.
    One guy showed a screenshot of that email and he had no issues cutting license key out.

34. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

What the ....? Why do you want proof from everybody? o_O

35. elmar1028

elmar1028

He stated he won a license. I wanted a proof :/

36. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Yes. Yes you did ... but ... why?

37. elmar1028

elmar1028

Well cause I was skeptic that winners wee announced so I wanted proof.

38. goat

goat

Uh, what matters is that those that don't have, don't have and those that do have, do have.

However, it's usually a requirement of such contests that the entity holding the contest state the winners in a public place for both legal and tax reasons.

And there is nothing illegal about those 4 people (CKS Studios) earlier claiming to have won each separately having entered. However, it's doubtful all 4 work on the same computer so, oh well.

39. AgusB

AgusB

Well congratulations to the winners!

40. kscho

kscho

I think there is some misunderstanding. We submitted 4 games into the sweepstakes, but we only won ONE license key.

Our four unity games are

Billionaire Blitz
    Deported Iguana
    Hyper Rift
    Septenary

I've attached the email I received from unity.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    Elkis and elmar1028 like this.
  41. Elkis

Elkis

Thanks for uploading that man, now I know what a "You won" e-mail would look like :)
    Congrats to the winners!

42. kactus223

kactus223

Hi,

I have just receipt this email. I'm so confuse, does it means that I'm one of the winners ? I haven't receipt any email from Unity, just this one from Intel.

Untitled.jpg

43. goat

goat

That means you are a secondary prize winner and will receive a Android tablet with Intel CPU/GPU. However, your prize is from Intel. I receive one too. And there are probably other prize winners. Congratulations. Those are nice and even nicer now that Unity Pro is essentially the same as Unity Free for Indy developers.

I hope you enjoy.

44. lucks17

lucks17

Hi, i have the same email from intel.

45. kscho

kscho

Not necessarily. The secondary prize could be a solid state drive too.

46. goat

goat

Don't see that in the contest description. I still have an 80GB SSD I'm not using after I upgraded to a 240 SSD a few years back.

Ah, I read the rules again. I'm not complaining. That's better than an 8" tablet if you have a 7" tablet of Android & Windows already. I can combine with my current 240 SSD and 80 SSD and have a pretty roomy setup when I buy a new MacMini. I now need to see if MacMinis can be self-upgraded like that.

I am looking at MacMinis they are difficult to change HD in new ones and my hands are big and I will need to buy tools...

I will buy the mid-model new MacMini & upgrade to internal 256 SSD and buy USB 3.0 mSata enclosure for this Intel SSD if it is an SSD that I get.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  47. adrianit0

adrianit0

When will we receive the secondary prize?
    And another question: Why dont tell the won prize in the email?
    Im very impatient for seeing what i have won (Tablet or SSD).
    Congratulation to the other winners

48. grosssmutttr

grosssmutttr

Have you already received your prizes?

49. adrianit0

adrianit0

No, i didnt receive it.
    I hope we'll receive soon :D

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  50. goat

goat

Hmmm, I was checking to see if anyone else received their prizes too. I'll be pleased with any prize from Intel.

I imagine they won't ship til they have notified every winner and the 10 days have elapsed for the last winner notified.