Search Unity

furFX Mobile - Physics-based Fur Shaders

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reddotgames, Sep 26, 2013.

1. reddotgames

reddotgames

furFX Mobile - Physics-based Fur Shaders

Information
    Pack contains multipass FUR shaders for Mobile with many extra features like physics based fur movement, fur gravity, custom coloring etc. Shaders are compiled.

Main features
    • Unity 3.5.x and 4.x compatible
    • Tested on iOS and Android devices
    • Works on SM2.0 and Unity Basic
    • Fur Wind Simulation
    • Fur Gravity Simulation
    • Fur Rigidbody Forces Simulation
    • Fur Thickness, Fur Coloring, Fur Shading, Fur Length, Hair Hardness
    • Fur Length Mask
    • Fur Rim Light
    • Fur Cubemap Reflection
    • Directional Light + up to 4 vertex lights
    • 5 sample fur textures with alpha mask
      [*] 5,10,20 Layer Basic Shaders
      [*] 5,10,20 Layer Advanced Shaders
      [*] 5,10,20 Layer Unlit Shaders
      [*] 5,10,20 Layer Basic NoClip(for Android) Shaders
    • Directional Light, Ambient Light and Specular
    • Model Cast Shadow

Use instruction
    Assign fur shader for your material. If you wanna extra effects like fur gravity, movement with rigidbody velocity or wind - you need to add <FurForce.js> script to object.
    You can also control fur movement by yourself - look into FurForce.js to see how to pass fur movement Vector into shader.

Shader Parameters Description
    • Color (RGB) - material color
    • Specular Material Color (RGB) - specular light color
    • Shininess - specular shininess factor
    • Fur Length - length of fur
    • Base (RGB) - main texture (RGB). Alpha works like fur mask.
    • Noise (RGB) - noise texture. Assign one of prepared 2 or make yours.
    • Alpha Cutoff - alpha cutoff factor
    • Edge Fade - how much fur go into transparent when more far from core
    • Fur Hardness - how much fur hold on place after applying gravity or other forces
    • Fur Thinness - thinness of fur
    • Fur Shading - how much fur color go darker when closer to fur core
    • Mask Alpha Factor - factor of alpha mask taked from main texture
    • Force - force working of fur

Advanced Shaders Bonus Parameters
    • Rim Color - color of rim lightning (more dark = less visible)
    • Rim Power - power of rim
    • Reflection Map - cubemap reflection
    • Reflection Power - alpha of reflection cubemap

Version History
    Screens from Android and iOS

$shotan.png $shotan2.png $shotio2.png $shotios.png

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. funasylum

funasylum

THIS IS INCREDIBLE. OMG. I can't believe you got this amazing realism to work seamlessly on MOBILE. You guys are totally amazing. I'm writing you a great review. Seriously, this shader is jaw dropping. I'm in awe.

3. reddotgames

reddotgames

Thank you very much for this positive feedback! And thanks for great review :)

4. astrospoon

astrospoon

I'm looking to buy Fur FX, but I'm a bit confused. These mobile versions look essentially identical in quality and features to the non-mobile version. Is there a reason NOT to simply purchase these mobile versions and use them on all platforms (PC included)? Or will I be losing out on features/quality by using the mobile versions in a PC release?

5. halley

halley

I love how you've added a physics wave to the fur.

I am just thinking out loud here, but if you could supply an additional RGB normal map input instead of just a gravity/momentum vector, and affect the "nap" direction based on the normal map, and then you "drew" onto this normal map based on a tablet's touch interface, you would have pettable fur.

6. reddotgames

reddotgames

You can buy Mobile but you need to know that desktop versions have (and will have in future) more advanced shaders (self shadowing, shell shader) so its up to you if you wanna stick to simplified mobile version (maybe you dont need so much advanced effects for your project).

7. reddotgames

reddotgames

Thanks! Yeah its good idea and I have it from long time in my head. But ... not in mobile version - this will kill mobile performance so it will be in future but in desktop edition :)

8. SpaceMammoth

SpaceMammoth

This is great. I have got this working very nicely for my mammoths in Mammoth Gravity Battles, and they are looking proper woolly now. A couple of things I would like to request - will you be looking at supporting point lights in the future? Also will there be any way to control the initial direction of hairs through a texture (normalmap?) - I think for many types if fur it looks too neat, animal fur has swirls and clumps.

$mammothWithFur.jpg

9. reddotgames

reddotgames

Hah this mammoth looks great! I send you info how to change max hair length in private.
    About point lights - I dont know if mobile will hand it - Im planning to make it work with probes - how you think?

About hair control - first I need implement this in desktop version and than I will see if this will work good on mobile - if so - I will add it also.
    Asset will be updated like all my assets so there are new things to come!

10. SpaceMammoth

SpaceMammoth

I totally understand that hair control and point lights might not be for mobile, that's fair enough, and I would be happy to buy the non mobile shader for those features. As for probes, I can see why you would use them, it would be good if you could manage it without for those without pro.

Either way, its great to see such good plans to evolve the fur shader.

11. dddu88

dddu88

Hi All,

I just bought this nice furFx Mobile shader, I tested a few things, here are the two issues I have:
    1. I created the fur on my model, it shows the fur, but fur also shows up inside the mouth, how can I remove that? do I have to create a separate object for the mouth inside? this is not a good option, because I have shapekey for the whole mouth.
    2. There are some transparent slots where the background color shows up around the mouth lips and around eyebrows.
    3. when I tested on my Samsun Driod Charge, the model with the fur shows up, but the eyeballs are away from the head in the back, the eyeballs are separate objects, so they do not have the shader with them, but in Unity, the eyeballs show correctly with the head together.
    4. I donot need fur for the dog nose, how can I remove that? create a separate object for the nose?

Thanks
    David

12. reddotgames

reddotgames

Hey!
    1) You can control fur lenght by fur texture alpha (black = no fur, white = full length).
    2) Send me image on PM I will look into it
    3) Its something related with skinned mesh handle by Unity I guess, can you send me image on PM (from unity and android)
    4) Look point 1 :)

13. dddu88

dddu88

Thanks for your response, for point 1, I can only see fur length slider or Mask alpha factor, which are related to fur length, where is the fur texture alpha? also when I change the fur length slider or alpha factor, the fur will change for the whole model, but I only need to set the mouth inside part and the nose part to my own texture without fur.

I am using FurFX Mobile Advanced 20 layer shader.

Thanks

14. reddotgames

reddotgames

Alpha is 4th channel in your fur texture. Look at sample fur textures from pack - they all have alpha textures inside. Alpha controls where fur is.
    You need to have UV mapping on your model to use it properly.

15. dddu88

dddu88

I am using your sample texture fur1, the fur spreads all over of the whole model, but certain area of the model I do not want fur like the nose. I have the UV mapping with my own texture, which does not have fur, you mean through UV mapping I can make some area not impacted by the fur shader? if Alpha controls where fur is, how do I set alpha value for certain area only on the model to make this area without fur?

Thanks
    David

16. reddotgames

reddotgames

So, you have your dog model. And you have this model uv mapped + you have your dog texture. In this texture you add alpha map and paint on this alpha map with grayscale. Black color mean no fur at all, white = fur length. Look :

$alpha.png

Whole logo is made on 1 texture (with alpha) - look how R is higher than red circle. By changing alpha of some pixels on texture, you can "tell" shader to not generate fur at all. If you still confused the best will be for you to send me your dog model with texture and I will send you back how this can be done.

17. dddu88

dddu88

Hi Reddotgames,

Thanks very much for your explanation, you are so helpful, I am trying to send you the model and textures via private message, but not sure how, I am new to this forum.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  18. reddotgames

reddotgames

Ive sent you my email on PM - send there :)

19. funasylum

funasylum

Hi Reddot! Thanks so much again for your amazing plugin. I'm using it to great effect bringing some hairy spiders to life: http://itunes.com/apps/spiderprank

My question is: does your shader work with projectors? I'm using a projector to throw a splotchy glass like texture on my spiders so it looks like they're crawling under glass. However, it doesn't seem to be picking up on the fur shader. Do you have any thoughts for a workaround or a settings tweak that might help?

Thanks very much!

20. reddotgames

reddotgames

Yeah I remember your app was in TOP in my country and I install it and made one prank to my friend :) It worked lol! :)

If you wanna try use it with projectors you need to edit shader head (and I dont know which one you are using) and add

Tags { "IgnoreProjector"="False" }

in tags section. If this will not work - I need to investigate it deeper.

21. funasylum

funasylum

Haha! I'm psyched you got a good prank in!! :) I love hearing that. :)

So I tried what you suggested and didn't get it to work... I'm sorry but Shaders are like an alien language to me. I'm using the FurFx Advanced 10 Layer. I noticed that before I even changed anything, that selecting the shader revealed a 'Ignore Projector no' in the Inspector...

I went ahead and added the line you suggested in the tags section (added Tags { "IgnoreProjector"="False" } to line 29). After saving and returning to Unity I was surprised cuz it didn't seem like anything compiled in Unity? Sorry again-- shaders are such a mystery to me.

Anyways, if you have any other thoughts on how I could get my projectors working I'd be grateful for any ideas!!

Thanks!!

22. reddotgames

reddotgames

OK so send me your email on PM and I will make you shader with projector support.

23. funasylum

funasylum

Wow amazing!! I'll PM you now... THANK YOU!!

24. 00christian00

00christian00

Hi, is this going to be updated? Especially the fur direction is quite important to not have a plush look.

Is it possible to have a new video without blur that show the quality at each layer level?

Except for the added features, what's the difference in rendering quality between this and the desktop version?

25. reddotgames

reddotgames

Sorry for delay guys, and some kind of absence on forum but we were finishing game that will be published on Steam and we have 0 time for you. Right now we sent gold version on Steam so now I will return to forums, updated (yeah we have few !) so please give us some time and thanks for supporting!

I will sit to it but to be honest with you - mobile version of shader will not have those kind of goodies - it will be to heavy for mobile - but we will test it out.

About difference - desktop shaders use more precise calculations so fur looks like real! Also desktop shaders have more options to play with so if you wanna use really nice fur on desktop and only desktop - dont use mobile version for it. If you wanna have mobile quality on desktop builds - its still ok to use mobile - I did not block directx support.

26. malu05b

malu05b

Purchased the shader yesterday and im pretty happy with the results its bringing.

So, the 1 directional light is a bit of a limitation for me as the objects back side will be almost completely black. For this reason i wanted to add my own light model ontop of the diffuse and specular (do a fill light with a inverse lightdirection.) However as i modify the obfuscated shader code at the dot product segments the results don't how up in game.

Can you help me a bit on how i can customize the difuse and spcular term of your shader?

27. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Hi,

i have bought both of your fur assets some time ago but only found the time to test it now.
    In the readme i read that it is pc and mac compatible so i triy it on my pc and i can not read somewhere that i have to do something special to see the shader but all your demo scenes just show me the normal texture but no fur.
    I am sure i do something wrong but do not know what so can you please help me?

Edit:
    I also switched from pc to ios mode and can the that it used open gl 2.0 emulation but it doesn´t matter if i use pc or ios mode and wich shader emulation (2 or 3 for pc) i use, there is no fur, just the textures. My machiene is on win 7 64 bit with a geforce gtx 560 card. Unity Pro 4.5.

Edit2:
    Just test the pc version and there it does not work too :(

Edit3:
    Ok, i am sorry, forget that unity do not use direcx9 anymore so i unpacked the directx11 shader and they are working on the pc and then i loaded the asset in a project on the mac and there the shaders work also.

What i do not like at my first view is that everything looks so blury when moved or animated.
    Still scenes looking good.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  28. SpaceMammoth

SpaceMammoth

Hi, I'm still using this fur shader and it is working great - on PC and mobile, however it doesn't seem to work on Windows 8 Metro. The shader seems fine when testing in unity, however when I build the game for metro and run it the models only render with the diffuse fallback shader. Have you looked at your shader on win 8 metro?

29. reddotgames

reddotgames

Guys remember that now Unity create new project in DX11 mode - thats why shaders will not appear properly in editor. You need to switch back to DX9/oGL

30. bobcat53

bobcat53

Hi,

I just bought your mobile furfx pack and am really excited about the potential! However after trying it out I've come across 1 problem. My old shader used alpha cutoff for model transparency (feathers) but now that the alpha is used for fur masking, how can I still achieve base RGB diffuse transparency? Is there a way to add another alpha channel into the shader?

Thanks!

31. cs_can

cs_can

Thanks for creating such great package.

Any possible way to:

1. Receive shadow?
    2. Control the fur direction or normalmap support?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  32. sean.frisby

sean.frisby

Hi there, I was wondering if 'Alpha Cutoff' is supposed to remove the visibility of the base texture - if so I can't get it to work. I see that 'Mask Alpha Factor' uses the alpha channel to remove the fur - but I can't hide my undermesh.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Attached Files:

33. Honikou

Honikou

Hi,

Doesn't work on Nexus 10, and work on nexus phone. Do you have any idea why ?

Thanks

34. reddotgames

reddotgames

You would need something like shell fur shader right? Did you saw those in desktop package?

35. reddotgames

reddotgames

No idea why - there is alot of problems with Nexus 10 and Unity3d from what Ive read.
    Just checked building test scene on Unity 4.5.3 into my Motorola Xoom 2 and all works fine also.

36. reddotgames

reddotgames

Version 2.0 submitted to Asset Store
    - Full source shaders - no more compiled ones!
    - Added Shell Shaders

All people having issues with version 1.0 please check 2.0 after release! Thanks

37. blackbird

blackbird

i was buying this but my friend told me that the effect doesn t show up on playstation vita (im talking here about psm ) can you confirm this ?

38. reddotgames

reddotgames

Hello blackbird,

Sorry we have no chance to make it compatible/check it with Vita so if your friend said so - it could be true.

39. blackbird

blackbird

any idea why not ?

40. TWaanders

TWaanders

Hi,

I just purchased this asset and the fur effect does not seem to work. I imported the asset in an empty project and I run on Unity 4.6.0b20... any idea what might go wrong?

EDIT:

I fixed it. Figured out the editor needs to be running in OpenGL mode for the effect to show up!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  41. gecko

gecko

These are great shaders, but I do have a question: we want to let players customize their furry character with tint sliders--and that works just fine--but we'd like to have the tint affect only darker areas in the alpha channel. (That is, the furrier areas.) would that be feasible to add to the shaders....and if so, any suggestions how? (We're not shader programmers.)

42. huxley

huxley

These shaders are very impressive, and I really like the effect. In our case we're using them on larger planes which are sometimes seen at a greater distance from the camera. When this happens, the result is Z fighting effect, where the shading flickers rapidly on each poly subdivision.

Is there a setting to reduce/eliminate this Z fighting, or fade the shader out if being rendered from a larger distance?

43. reddotgames

reddotgames

Did you try changing near plane of camera ?

44. huxley

huxley

Yes, increasing the value of the near plane fixed this issue. Thanks for the immediate response.

Now my only issue is getting shadows to render on the surface. Is this possible with the fur applied?

45. reddotgames

reddotgames

No problem :)
    From what I remember yes - but with FurFX 2.0 shaders (take a look into sample scenes - there are at least 2 with shadows)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  46. BLUESurfer-MONSTER

BLUESurfer-MONSTER

Ei guys, how it's going the version compatible with Unity 5.0? The actual shaders seems not to be working! :)

47. lebo47

lebo47

Have any apps actually shipped using this?

Our app is about to be live - see below. Will Unity 5 be supported?

thanks IK_Screenshots_iPhone6Plus_01.jpg

48. SpaceMammoth

SpaceMammoth

Also seeing issues with Unity 5. Totally understand that these things take time, it would be good to have an indication of if this will be fixed or if you don't plan to support Unity 5.

49. reddotgames

reddotgames

We did push new version for desktop version (with Unity 5.x support) - next is mobile one - stay tuned I will infor you about upcoming update when we will push it to review.

50. reddotgames

reddotgames

OK version 3.0 is under review
    Added Unity 5.x support ! Enjoy!

gecko likes this.