Search Unity

2D Isometric Action RPG

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bloodshard, May 7, 2013.

1. Bloodshard

Bloodshard

So I am looking into using Unity for a game I have been thinking of for a while. Its a Isometric 2D Action RPG, and I was wondering if anyone has played with making that type of game in Unity? I'm not sure if Unity is the right product for what I am looking to do. I want it to be really focused on art and game-play like "Legend of Mana", but in 1080p resolution.

2. khanstruct

khanstruct

Sure. Its just a matter of setting the camera at a fixed position/angle. I've actually played with that style quite a bit. Love the fact that you're going for the old school style with a focus on gameplay, by the way. Good luck.

3. Atmey

Atmey

You mean something like this?

I am still working on it, but I don't have enough time with a full time job. Plus I suck at 3d modeling and animation.
    EDIT:eek:ps, mine is more like Castlevania than Legend of Mana

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  4. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

Excuse my programmer art, buuuut something like this?

Because that's just an orthographic camera set to rotation(x:30,y45). Takes about 5 seconds to set up.

5. Bloodshard

Bloodshard

not quite more like this.

$loc-04.jpg

though not the same art style.

6. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

So I actually dug up my old Legend of Mana discs and popped them in and honestly? Making that sort of view in Unity is trivial. Like, even easier than what I just did. The art you're looking at just involves drawing the environment assets from a specific perspective and making sure you have proper masking layers. You should have no real problem with implementing something like that in Unity.

That said, if you're going to be working in 2D, I really recommend checking out Orthello. They have a free version of the framework which is super robust, it gets regular updates, and Mas is really really helpful when it comes to bugfixes between releases. It's an absolute godsend for 2D work in Unity. There are some other things like 2D Toolkit, but I don't have as much experience with them, so other people would be better suited to tell you about their qualities.

7. Bloodshard

Bloodshard

Ok downloaded everything and slowly figuring out how to set up a test Arena.