Blend file protection

can be packaged in Enigma Virtual Box blend file + blender player, to sell?
If not. How to protect the game?

What are you protecting your game from?

Theft? Protecting your blends won’t help, they’ll just copy everything
Modification? Who will modify it? 99.9% of players won’t

Is it realistic to need protection? Many modern games have gone nearly completely ‘open’ Try finding a game that you can’t mod that was produced in the last ten years. They are few and far between.

If anything needs protecting, it is the code behind your game. Simply not providing the python files and instead using compiled python (pyc files) will provide a good deal of protection. But then I suspect 99.9% of people who can be bothered modding won’t be bothered modifying the code.

Python compiled code does not fall under Gpl?
Python source code is not necessary to spread?

If you place you code into the GPL-ed application file it becomes GPL too.
If you keep it in a separate file (e.g. blend, py, pyc) you can give it any licence you want.

Ie if I hide scripts(*. pyc). I can do my license. Thank you!

(*. pyc) Visually can not be read?

Yes it can, but it is not as clear as .py

Alan Kay designed Smalltalk starting from a page of printed binary code produced by a compiler for Simula - named Mjölnir, if I remember well. Not everyone is Alan Kay but not everyone has to read some printed sequence of 0 and 1.
You shouldn’t really take compiled code as a measure of protection.

As a side note, all software (including open source software) need to be compiled and/or interpenetrated at some level (otherwise it would be impossible to run the software). All software that can be executed on your local machine, can (in theory) be hacked/cracked. It’s impossible to have 100% perfect game protection when “common code” exist (in this case, x86_64 assembly). Although, x86_64 assembly is vastly more difficult to reverse engineer than python byte code, it can still be cracked.

However, in the context of this thread, I assumed people want a level of security that would be extremely difficult to break in practice. The link provided above provides a signification level of protection for game developers and provides tools which make it extremely difficult to extract/modify blend content. Sure, it’s not perfect, but it’s just as good as Steam or any other piece of security software in existence today.

By the way, the only form of “perfect protection” is a thin client (like Onlive). The software does not run on your local machine, but on a distant server. With a thin client, your computer acts as nothing more than a remote (it only sends key strokes and receives screen captures). However, this approach has several obvious drawbacks.