Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

unity export fbx or obj

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by stan3dfx, Nov 2, 2009.

1. stan3dfx

stan3dfx

it would be awesome to be able to export meshes out of unity so you can work on the items in maya ie to create new light maps.
    Thanks

2. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Also, this exports a Unity terrain to .obj.

--Eric

4. inkBot

inkBot

Just wanted to pop in and say that this is perfect. Just what I need for my project.

The EditorObjExporter script should probably be updated though. When I tried to test it out Unity gave me an error and said I should change Line 71

Code (csharp):
    1. objMaterial.textureName = EditorUtility.GetAssetPath(mats[material].mainTexture);
    to

Code (csharp):
    1. objMaterial.textureName = AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(mats[material].mainTexture);
    Changed it and it worked nicely.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

just replicate the script with the update line and put it below on the wiki potentially putting the Unity Version in for the two (2.1 and 2.5+) :)
    Anyone can contribute to it :)

6. April

April

Hi, sorry for interrupting the thread. But I have no idea how to call the ObjExporter.MeshToFile() function.

Thanks a lot for your help.

7. bradjensen68

bradjensen68

You just stick it in the "editor" folder. From the Wiki:

You must place the script in a folder named Editor in your project's Assets folder for it to work properly. Also it must be called "ExportTerrain" or it won't run.

After it has comiled, click on "terrain" and "export to obj"

8. DaveA

DaveA

9. Cenda

Cenda

Hi, Im 3d animator and Im using Softimage. New Beast Lightmap system looks GREAT !! It would be great if I can export whole scene from unity to fbx with assigned baked texture back to Softimage. Is it possible? I know that texture are created in Project so I can assign it in Softimage manualy, but some automatic method can be better...

So .. Is it possible: 3d software > bake light in unity > back to 3d software??

10. DaveA

DaveA

I am still eagerly awaiting my 3.0, but if the light textures are created as assets and/or in any way available to scripts, then I don't see why this would not be possible.

In fact, I'll probably write such an exporter, but for X3D, maybe Collada.

11. warby

warby

it seams like vertex positions are being output in full values (integers ?!) would it be possible to modify this script to get more precisions out of the verts ?
    (not a coder)

12. Dreamora

Dreamora

potentially you missinterpret the vertex index gotten from a triangle with a vertex?

13. DaveA

DaveA

I find that just 'using' the variable results in less precision, but using ToString() gives more. Thus NOT

Code (csharp):
    2. outstream += v.x;
    but
    Code (csharp):
    2. outstream += v.x.ToString();

14. NODO-GT

NODO-GT

Hi,

I have problem using this script.

I was building game from mobile platform and then i found out that i terrain data is not supported for mobiles :(

I would like to convent my terrain to object and import it back as a mesh, i guess this is possible with TerrainObjExporter.

when i try to export i get error on line 29.

thanks in advance

15. dongle

dongle

Sorry to necro an old thread. I had a similar problem to NODO-GT. If you're getting that error, your filename is probably incorrect. I accidentally named my script 'ExportTerrain.js.js' and had errors. Renaming the script fixed the issues that I was having.

16. Ted D

Ted D

I want to export a terrain to maya, but expericenced the same disappointing results as others. I am not a developer and have no experience writing script. Will the script on wiki work and does it require a special script program to insert it into the proper place?
    I read the instructions for getting the obj export to work, but had no success, because I do not know how to handle the script and its proper placement in the editor folder. I will appreciate any help anyone can give.____Thanks

Ted D