IGNORED

Floppy Bird ported to Atari 5200

freetz

Hi everyone,

last month, I coded a Flappy Bird clone for the 8-Bit Atari, called "Floppy Bird". It differs from other versions mostly because of its small size - less than 1kB.

AtariAge-User Aking asked me to do a port for the 5200, and although I've never done that before (and Floppy Bird was my first piece I wrote in 100% assembler after a 20 year hiatus not coding for the Atari), it was easier than I thought. On the 5200 it's obviously larger, 32kB, but contains the same features as the 400/800 version (cooperative two player mode, increasing level of difficulty etc.).

The result can be downloaded here as a ROM-file:

http://frederik.hol.st/atari/8-bit/mystuff/floppy52.rom

It works well in my emulator (Atari800MacX), but I have no means of running it on my original 5200, so maybe someone could test it out.

One thing I couldn't get to work was the random number generator (RANDOM, $E80A), it always returns the same number. Thus I had to use a steadily incrementing counter instead. It still works fine, I guess.

The 1kB version for the Atari 400/800 can be found here:

http://ftp.hol.st/atari/8-bit/mystuff/floppybrd.xex

Enjoy :)!

Frederik

• Like 5

Thanks to a hint from Paul Lay, I changed the ROM file now so that it includes the proper boot screen. It still contains the diagnostic code byte, but copies the initialization routine from the ROM and patches it according to the code I found in this forum. Could someone please let me know if it works on a real machine now? I only have a Atari800MacX to test it and it runs fine both ways, so this does not seem to be a good indicator.

Would have loved to have a SD-card adapter, so I can test it on my real 5200 :)...

Best,

Frederik

well ,

did some extensive testing

atari 800win works great

Altirra works with no sound

real 5200 4port and 2 port with ultimate sd carts

one and a half second black screen

(needs the title andFuji Logo screen)

then working with no sound like on altirra

Edited by Aking

Strange... seems it's more complicated than I thought ;)... Paul Lay reported the same and suggested to reset POKEY by writing 0 and 2 to SKCTL (E80F). I haven't been writing the 2 to SKCTL yet, but now I write zeros to all POKEY, ANTIC and GTIA registers before and after the modified splash screen logo. New version is ready for download on my server, same link.

If there is still no sound, could anyone just change the diagnostic code byte (BFFD) to FF and see if the sound is then working on a real machine? Too bad Altirra does not exist for Mac, otherwise I could do some pre-testing myself with that emulator (one of the few programs I really miss on my Mac).

Edited by freetz

Strange... seems it's more complicated than I thought ;)... Paul Lay reported the same and suggested to reset POKEY by writing 0 and 2 to SKCTL (E80F). I haven't been writing the 2 to SKCTL yet, but now I write zeros to all POKEY, ANTIC and GTIA registers before and after the modified splash screen logo. New version is ready for download on my server, same link.

If there is still no sound, could anyone just change the diagnostic code byte (BFFD) to FF and see if the sound is then working on a real machine? Too bad Altirra does not exist for Mac, otherwise I could do some pre-testing myself with that emulator (one of the few programs I really miss on my Mac).

I just tried it on a real 5200. 1. There is no sound. 2. It starts and you can start flapping your bird and play the game but unlike the 8-bit version which you go for a bit in the beginning with no rocks, you see rocks on the bottom for a bit (sometimes) and then you see the full length rocks appear on the top and bottom like the 8-bit version. Sometimes you will get these small rocks and sometimes you won't. It seems to be different when you shut the 5200 and turn it on again. So maybe it's the state of certain registers when you turn on the 5200. Hope this helps.

And thanks for writing the game and converting it.

It took me a couple of times before I caught the thing in the splash screen. :)

Allan

post-187-0-74362600-1394373269_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for testing, especially Paul. With his help I think I got to the root of the problem - at least now there is sound on the Altirra emulator which I got up and running on my Mac thanks to WineBottler. Also, I hope that there are now no more stray rocks on the screen. It seems that the splash screen routine seems to leave quite a few areas of memory "dirty", thus I had to run a memory wipe again after the splash screen.

In case you have two controllers, please also check whether two player mode is working (started by pressing the fire button on the second controller first to start the game).

The updated version is available on my server as of now, same link, same filename.

• Like 1

Thank you all for testing, especially Paul. With his help I think I got to the root of the problem - at least now there is sound on the Altirra emulator which I got up and running on my Mac thanks to WineBottler. Also, I hope that there are now no more stray rocks on the screen. It seems that the splash screen routine seems to leave quite a few areas of memory "dirty", thus I had to run a memory wipe again after the splash screen.

In case you have two controllers, please also check whether two player mode is working (started by pressing the fire button on the second controller first to start the game).

The updated version is available on my server as of now, same link, same filename.

I was able to play the 1st level. Sound worked, but I didn't do very well... I think 15 was all I've scored so far. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...